There have been some changes to the Pomona supplements for this application season. Let's check out the new prompts.
If you are applying via the common app, you'll have to supplement your personal statement and activities list by answering two out of three questions.
Applicants will choose to answer two of the following three questions in responses of 200 to 250 words.
- Imagine having a 1 a.m. debate/discussion with your peers in college about an issue you care about. What is that issue, and what is the discussion?
- Share your favorite quote, and tell us what it means to you. The quote can be from an author, leader, musical artist, family member or other source—famous or not. (The quote does not count toward your word limit.)
- We want to understand you better! Tell us about a skill you have (useless or useful) and what it says about you.
You will also have 300 words to write about the major you select, in response to the following prompt.
What gets you excited about your academic interest selection(s) above?
If you are applying via the Coalition App, it's a bit different.
- First, you'll have 400 words to respond to one of the following prompts
- How do you interact with those around you? Tell us about a group you’re comfortable with and how you act or behave when you’re with them. This could be your family, a team, a class, a club, etc.
- How do you approach learning? Tell us about an experience with a learning process. This can be a description of a personal or academic project and the stages it involved. What did you discover?
- Our individual differences are what make us unique and can sometimes make us stand out. Write about a time when you were aware of your difference. How did it impact you, and what did you learn from the experience?
- You will also respond to this prompt... although it doesn't have to be an essay!
- Environments and experiences shape people in different ways. What is your world like? As a result, what characteristics, beliefs, or values will you bring with you when you begin college, and how does this help us understand who you are?
- You can respond to this prompt with an essay of at least 400 words, a collection of photos, a video response (up to 90 seconds in length), or something else from your Locker. If you choose to submit a collection of photos or if your video response does not include narration, please also include a short statement telling us what you hope we will learn from your submission.
- Finally, you will respond to the following prompt, with a limit of 300 words. (Yes, this one is in the Common App as well!)
- What gets you excited about your academic interest selection(s) above?
For help writing a "Why Major" essay, take a look at our general guide.
To keep up on updates, follow this page.